Welcome! My name is Michael Gilday and I am a Short Track Speedskater from Yellowknife, NWT, Canada. I currently train at the National Training Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I've created this blog primarily to let family and friends know about competitions and travel. I also hope to educate a bit about short track and maybe even entertain. Enjoy!

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Canadian Championships

Well I managed to go another few weeks without updating the blog. I’m starting to sound like Kirsten Sweetland when I start a blog. So instead of boring you with all the excuses I don’t have, I’ll just jump right in. Alright, 2009 Canadian Open Championships. That’s what its all about right now. All of the top skaters in Canada are in Montreal this week for our second set of selection races. The overall results of this weekend combined with the overall results from our selection races in the fall will determine the members of the winter World Cup teams as well as who will compete at World Championships individually (top three overall male and female) and the members of the relay team at world Championships (4 and 5 overall combined with the top three). Needless to say, its one of the bigger weekends on the racing calendar. Its obviously really easy to look at this weekend and get nervous because the stakes are high. I mean peoples goals for the entire season could be on the line here! But there are other ways, some would say better ways, to look at a weekend like this. Some would say that it is better to look at this weekend as a reward. A reward for the hard work and dedication you have put in. A reward for the patience you have had with yourself when things weren’t going perfectly right. Or being rewarded with an opportunity to prove to yourself something that might not even necessarily have anything to do with racing but can be proven through racing. But there is one thing though that I think that rewards always bring. They bring fun. And that’s the best part.

I will do updates each day on the results of racing and how our team is doing. Also I've linked to a new blog in the side bar. Its the blog of my good buddy Andrew Matthews.

Get Some!!

No comments: